Lead and support the Officer team
- Manage the other 7 Officers, overseeing their work and supporting them to set, implement and review objectives.
- Oversee and coordinate shared responsibilities, including by organising and chairing meetings of the Officer team.
Oversee lobbying and student representation
- Oversee representation of student views and interests to the University and beyond.
- Oversee how the SU communicates with its student members.
- Liaise with senior managers about the planning of student services and activities.
- Organise and lead strong campaigns on issues affecting students.
- Oversee student elections and referenda, promoting democracy.
- Take steps to foster a student community which respects the diversity of its membership.
- Build and develop the SU’s relationship with the University and the city.
- Oversee the SU’s media relations.
Be Chair of the Students’ Union Trustee Board
- Ensure effective governance of the SU
- Be responsible for SU staffing and disciplinary matters.
Shared responsibilities (all officers):
- Be an active member of the Student Executive Committee (SEC), overseeing SU direction and student representation as a whole.
- Oversee SU policies and how they are turned into action.
- Campaign for the rights and interests of students, locally or nationally.
- Uphold the SU’s democratic processes, including by upholding decisions taken by Referenda and by reporting to SU Council on progress and key issues.
- Support and develop liberation access.
You can find a full description of responsibilities for all Officers in Sheffield Students’ Union Bye-Law 4.