Page:Advice & Guidance for students impacted by industrial action

Advice & Guidance for students impacted by industrial action

The nature of industrial action means that we cannot know the exact impact that the planned strikes will have on the education of students across the University in the weeks to come. The SU does not have details of when or where any scheduled teaching will be cancelled. Staff do not have to inform the University in advance if they are taking part in industrial action, but your department may have information on which classes are cancelled. If you want to check if your teaching is going ahead you should email your department. If you have emailed your department on a strike day and not received a reply, this is because it may be deleted. We are advising students to re-send any email they think this may apply to.

If you feel that the strike action has, or will, have an impact on your studies and experience at the University of Sheffield there are a number of things that you can do.

If you are concerned or confused, or have a question that isn’t answered here you can always contact the Student Advice Centre to get free, confidential, professional and independent advice. Just email

The University also has a page answering Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), that you may find useful -

Often the most effective thing to do first is to is to raise your concerns or the issue you are facing with your tutor, module leader or Head of Department. If you feel comfortable doing this then you may be able to make arrangements that resolve your issue quickly and without the need to go through formal forms and processes.

Your Academic Rep may be able to support you in raising an issue informally, if you don’t know who your academic rep is you can email and we can let you know their contact details.

We are aware that a number of departments are making arrangements for students at a local level that may include block extensions on assessment deadlines and/or agreements not to assess areas of teaching that have been missed. We are seeking clarification on this from departments and will update this website with any details.

Extenuating circumstances are defined by the university as “Exceptional, short-term events which are outside of a student’s control and have a negative impact upon their ability to prepare for or take (sit) an assessment.”

If you feel that the industrial action has affected you in a way that fits with this definition, then you may consider submitting an extenuating circumstance form to your department.

Guidance from the University on how to submit an Extenuating Circumstance Form is available here.

You need to submit your form as soon as you reasonably can, ideally before the assessment it refers to and definitely before the relevant Exam Board takes place. If you want details on any of these dates you should speak to a member of administrative staff within your Department.

If you are having problems completing your application, or you are not sure how to progress you are always able to contact the Student Advice Centre by emailing

If you wish to make a complaint in relation to the impact of the industrial action on your experience at the University then you need to follow the University’s Complaints Procedure.

The Student Advice Centre has comprehensive information on our website that guides you through the different stages of the complaints process and what you need to do -

If you feel that you need additional support, or would like an advisor to comment on a draft complaint that you have prepared, you can contact the Student Advice Centre by emailing Please note, we normally require up to 5 working days in order to provide comments on draft submissions.

More information will be made available in relation to academic appeals at a later date.

If you are considering an academic appeal in relation to the impact of industrial action please first carefully read the Student Advice Centre guidance available at -

If you have further questions please email