Page:Problems with placements

Problems with placements

As part of your degree, you may be required to do a work placement. There are two types work placement that are incorporated within degrees:

  • Some of the professional degree courses (such as those in Medicine, Dentistry, Orthoptics, Nursing, Teaching, etc), require that you complete compulsory assessed placements. Sometimes these may also be referred to as clinical attachments or school experiences. 
  • The other type of placement is the one-year work experience for degrees with employment experience.

Please note: ERASMUS is different to the placements described here. For more information on ERASMUS, please click here.

Important points to note about issues on placement :

  • If you encounter problems with your work placement, this can have serious consequences on your degree as you must pass the placements to obtain your degree. As well as this, poor progress reports, failure, or early termination of a placement could result in your fitness to practise being reviewed or a referral to Faculty Student Review Committee.
  • Bearing this in mind, it is important that you tackle any problems that arise promptly.
  • If you encounter problems on your placement, your first port of call should be your placement supervisor/mentor because their job is to support you as well as assess you.
  • A good placement will include an induction session, this provides you the opportunity to ask questions and sort out practical issues. Ask your supervisor to clarify anything you are unsure of.
  • Let your placement supervisor/ mentor know if there are any practical or personal issues preventing you from meeting your responsibilities. For example, if shift patterns are genuinely a problem, it may be possible to re-negotiate them, or if due to a medical problem your attendance is being affected.
  • If your supervisor has concerns about your performance during the placement, they should let you know. Unless these are so serious that the placement is terminated early, your supervisor should work with you to try to overcome the problems.
  • If you encounter problems during your placement, for example lack of support or lack of opportunities, you should raise these with your supervisor promptly.
  • Your department will also have a member of staff responsible for overseeing placements. If you have concerns about your placement that cannot be resolved with your supervisor you should talk to this placement tutor. They too can advise you how to tackle the problems, or talk to the placement on your behalf. If necessary the placement tutor may be able to arrange a different placement for you.

Useful information on placements in general can be found on the University placements webpage.

Last Updated: August 2016