Page:Work placements and internships

Work placements and internships

Last modified: 04/06/2018

If you want to do a work placement or internship during your studies you need to make sure you do this in line with your visa conditions. Further information can be found at UKCISA

Doing a work placement during the vacation period

You can do any work placement during your defined vacation period.

Doing a work placement during term time

You can do a work placement provided:

  • you do not spend more than 50% of the time on your course doing a work placement, or work placements
  • there is an exception for students on Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) courses.
  • your work placement must be an assessed part of your course, and it can take place at any point in your studies.

If your course does not contain a work placement you could do a placement during your vacation period or for a longer placement of up to 12 months you may be able to convert your degree to a Degree with Employment Experience.

Opting to do an additional placement year could affect your visa, see here. It could mean that you will need to return home to apply for a fresh Tier 4 CAS and visa before you start the placement. If you are considering this option, please check how this will affect your Tier 4 visa with International Student Support



Finding a placement

You can get help on your options to find a placement from here.