Page:Financial Help from the University (Bursaries, Grants and Scholarships)

Financial Help from the University (Bursaries, Grants and Scholarships)

For a full overview on help available for funding your study, including help from the university, please click here .

To calculate what funding or help you may be entitled to from the university you can use the university's online funding calculator.

There are a range of financial help options available from the university, which vary according to your mode of study and student type. Further details of the help available is given below:

University bursaries are grants paid to home students on full time undergraduate courses. You do not need to apply for them – you will be automatically assessed for a bursary by the University when you register. The University will write to you within 4 weeks of the start of the academic year to let you know how much bursary you will get.

What bursaries are available?

The University offers its bursary under ‘The Sheffield Bursary Scheme’. The Sheffield bursary is split into 5 different award areas, and you would be eligible if you met the criteria for one or more of these. They are:

  1. Household income
  2. Where you live (home)
  3. A-Level Grades
  4. Care Leavers
  5. Student Carers
  6. Estranged / Indepednant students (as assessed by Student Finance)

For more information on the Sheffield Bursary and  its categories, please click here.

To find out whether you would qualify for the Sheffield bursary and how much for, use the Sheffield online student funding calculator here

Other important information about bursaries:

  • You need to have been assessed as eligible for student support by Student Finance England in order for the university to consider your eligibility for a bursary. This means that you need to ensure you have provided your household income details to Student Finance England (using form PFF2). 
  • Students who are doing a second undergraduate degree only eligible to be assessed for the bursary based on household income.
  • You are eligible for a bursary for every year of your course, except for repeat years, years abroad or years in industry.
  • If your household income changes, your bursary entitlement may also change.
  • Bursaries are usually paid in 2 instalments. The first instalment should be within 8 weeks of the start of the academic year and the second instalment by the end of February.
  • If you take a leave of absence from your course, you may be asked to repay some of your University bursary.

If you are faced with exceptional financial hardship due to unforeseen circumstances, the university has hardship funds administered under the financial support scheme to assist you during periods of unexpected financial hardship.

This is a one of payment to help you through the difficult period and does not have to be paid back. It can usually only be applied for once in an academic year unless there are exceptional circumstances. All students registered at the University can apply for Financial Support.

You can apply for financial support for living costs, essential travel costs and childcare costs (including subsidised nursery fees for the University nursery. However the need must have arisen due to unforeseen circumstances, causing financial hardship. Financial support cannot be used for tuition fees.

For further information and how to apply please click here.

A number of scholarships are offered by the university (and partners) for undergraduate students on the basis of personal circumstances, academic area, achievement and further study. For further information and eligibility criteria, please click here.

The university also runs the Sheffield Alumni Schoalrship, to assist students across faculties meet extra costs of Studying. Once you have applied to and been assessed by Student Finance England for your student funding, you will be automatically contacted by the university to apply if you are eligible for this scholarship.

There is very limited funding available to international students. Aside from the hardship funds mentioned above, there are a small number of scholarships and charitable trusts which are open to international students. For further information about these and international student funding , please click here.

For scholarships the university usually contacts all eligible student before the start of their course with information and how to apply.

Please also look under the postgraduate and research section if applicable.

Full details on financial help for postgraduate students including university scholarships can be found here

Please note: funding usually has to be applied for well in advance of your course starting.

Postgraduate Loans are available to new Masters students from August 2016. For further details including eligibility and how to apply please click here.

If you are studying on a part-time course at the Department for Lifelong Learning, you may be eligible for a bursary from the university. For more information and to find out whether you qualify please click here.

The government will also be starting maintenance loans for new entrants to certain part time courses from September 2018. To see if you are eligible please speak to a money adviser at the Student Advice Centre.

Please note for Phd funding usually has to be applied for well in advance of your course starting. Funding can be available through university scholarships or research fellowships. Further information on scholarships available can be found here. For general information on financing postgraduate research studies please click here.

The government is also introducing a loan for Phd students starting from September 2018. Please visit the SLC website for details nearer the time for more details.

Last Updated: January 2018