Have oversight over SU social enterprise activities and performance; have oversight of the use and development of SU facilities
- Oversee commercial services (e.g. entertainments, outlets) and their promotion, working with managers to develop new ideas and representing student interests.
- Represent students’ views and interests relating to commercial services, ensuring procedures for student feedback are in place.
- Lead the SU’s work on student-led enterprise, ethical, environmental and sustainability work.
- Oversee the SU’s advertising and sponsorship policy, consulting with relevant groups to review it at the start of the academic year.
- Oversee external affiliations and commercial relationships (e.g. NUS Services).
Be the officer lead on all SU finances (Treasurer)
- Ensure Student Executive Committee (made up of the 8 Officers) prepares an annual budget.
- Monitor financial performance of the SU.
- Chair the SU’s Finance Executive committee.
- Ensure student Committees and Officers comply with SU financial procedures (e.g. work with staff in Student Group Support to ensure training is provided to Committees).
- Oversee all budgets covering the work of SU Officers and of Working and Representative Committees (e.g. Film Unit, BME Committee).
- Represent students at meetings of the University’s Finance Committee, Public Value sub-group and other relevant groups.
Shared responsibilities (all officers):
- Be an active member of the Student Executive Committee (SEC), overseeing SU direction and student representation as a whole.
- Oversee SU policies and how they are turned into action.
- Campaign for the rights and interests of students, locally or nationally.
- Uphold the SU’s democratic processes, including by upholding decisions taken by Referenda and by reporting to SU Council on progress and key issues.
- Support and develop liberation access.
You can find a full description of responsibilities for all Officers in Sheffield Students’ Union Bye-Law 4.