Represent student interests to create change on all relevant education issues
- Represent students on educational and teaching quality issues.
- Represent students at strategic groups relating to learning and teaching or academic quality, including the University’s Learning & Teaching Committee.
- Working with the Student Advice Centre, ensure students are well supported on academic matters and that issues are identified and acted upon.
Develop and support an effective structure of academic representation
- Oversee the recruitment, training and work of Academic Reps and any other student leadership roles that influence education planning or delivery.
- Support the Education Committee and Postgraduate Students’ Committee by promoting participation in both committees and being an advocate for their issues in wider SU or University discussions.
Lead campaigns on relevant on all relevant education issues
- Working with others, campaign on education issues, and issues of learning and teaching quality, with the aim of enhancing academic life for students.
- Lead the SU’s work on higher education policy, working and campaigning with other Officers, students and relevant staff members.
Shared responsibilities (all officers):
- Be an active member of the Student Executive Committee (SEC), overseeing SU direction and student representation as a whole.
- Oversee SU policies and how they are turned into action.
- Campaign for the rights and interests of students, locally or nationally.
- Uphold the SU’s democratic processes, including by upholding decisions taken by Referenda and by reporting to SU Council on progress and key issues.
- Support and develop liberation access.
You can find a full description of responsibilities for all Officers in Sheffield Students’ Union Bye-Law 4.