Encourage sport participation and communities
- Encourage students to be involved with sports.
- Organise a Sports Fair in Intro Week to enable students to find out about sport at Sheffield University, and to enable clubs to recruit new members.
- Promote and develop the “Black and Gold” sporting community, including by organising meetings which bring together all clubs.
- Work with the Welfare Officer to promote healthy, active lifestyles.
Represent student athletes
- Represent students’ views and interests on sporting matters.
- Play an active role on the Sport Sheffield Board and serve as Co-Chair of the Sport Sheffield Partnership Group.
- Represent Sports Clubs within the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS).
Organise/input activity to develop sport
- Support the development and promotion of a wide range of sport programmes, appealing to a variety of students.
- Champion the equal support for different types of participation (e.g. social sport, intra mural, elite sport, S10 Health and Wellbeing),
fostering a sporting community that is inclusive and where resources are fairly allocated.
- Organise events that raise the profile of sports participation, including an annual Varsity event with Sheffield Hallam.
Shared responsibilities (all officers):
- Be an active member of the Student Executive Committee (SEC), overseeing SU direction and student representation as a whole.
- Oversee SU policies and how they are turned into action.
- Campaign for the rights and interests of students, locally or nationally.
- Uphold the SU’s democratic processes, including by upholding decisions taken by Referenda and by reporting to SU Council on progress and key issues.
- Support and develop liberation access.
You can find a full description of responsibilities for all Officers in Sheffield Students’ Union Bye-Law 4.