Represent all students’ views and interests on welfare matters
- Represent students’ views and interests on welfare matters at University level, locally and nationally.
- Oversee activities relating to financial hardship, funding and employment issues.
- Oversee activities relating to accommodation issues, working with the University and student housing within the city.
Support, organise and coordinate campaigns on welfare issues
- Support and champion campaigns and activities on welfare issues (including mental health, sexual health, personal safety).
- Work with the Sports Officer to promote healthy, active lifestyles, including through Healthy Campus Week.
Develop programmes to ensure we have the best possible welfare services
- Organise the annual Housemate Finder event, ensuring this offers students a chance to access Advice Centre support, and input into the SmartMove campaign.
- Oversee the SU’s welfare services, particularly the Student Advice Centre and Children’s Services and support the student-led Nightline service.
- Support Welfare Committee to be effective.
- Work with and promote University support services, such as the University Health Service and the Counselling Service.
Shared responsibilities (all officers):
- Be an active member of the Student Executive Committee (SEC), overseeing SU direction and student representation as a whole.
- Oversee SU policies and how they are turned into action.
- Campaign for the rights and interests of students, locally or nationally.
- Uphold the SU’s democratic processes, including by upholding decisions taken by Referenda and by reporting to SU Council on progress and key issues.
- Support and develop liberation access.
You can find a full description of responsibilities for all Officers in Sheffield Students’ Union Bye-Law 4.