Represent the views, and promote the interests, of women students and other liberation groups
- Represent women students, working with the University and SU to promote their interests, views and welfare.
- Support and promote the work of Women’s Committee, Disabled Students’ Committee, BME students’ Committee and LGBT+ Committee.
- Working with the Advice Centre, ensure women students are well supported, acting as a contact for individual international students where appropriate.
- Liaise with other students’ unions to promote the interests of women students.
- Support and promote the work of Representative Councillors for liberation groups.
Lead campaigns to create an environment free from sexism and all of forms of discrimination
- Lead initiatives and campaigns to tackle sexism and oppression. Areas of focus may include institutional sexism, discrimination, equal pay, harassment and violence.
- Organise initiatives with the University Harassment Network
- Coordinate activities to create an inclusive environment free from discrimination.
Develop and support programmes to tackle current issues affecting women students
- Oversee Biteback in conjunction with the South Yorkshire Eating Disorders Association (SYEDA), the University Health Service and the University Counselling Service.
- Oversee the organisation and publicity of services to enhance women’s safety, including the night safety bus, provision of safety alarms and the production of information.
Shared responsibilities (all officers):
- Be an active member of the Student Executive Committee (SEC), overseeing SU direction and student representation as a whole.
- Oversee SU policies and how they are turned into action.
- Campaign for the rights and interests of students, locally or nationally.
- Uphold the SU’s democratic processes, including by upholding decisions taken by Referenda and by reporting to SU Council on progress and key issues.
- Support and develop liberation access.
You can find a full description of responsibilities for all Officers in Sheffield Students’ Union Bye-Law 4.